Psychotherapy vs. Psychoanalysis
Psychotherapy focus on relationships to others and restore a person’s relationship to society and social norms.
Psychoanalysis focus on relationship to oneself and restore a person’s relationship to their sexuality.
Psychotherapy works with:
- Relationships to others (child, parent, friend, partner,etc)
- Social and work responsibilities
- Thoughts, behaviors and feelings
Psychoanalysis works with:
- Dreams, Slips
- Fantasies, Artwork, Humor
- Actions, Behaviors
Which one is better ?
- Neither is better or worse, they are just different
- Not everyone is ready to do the work required in psychoanalysis
- Psychoanalysis aims at a radical change in life
- Psychotherapy aims at symptom reduction and better coping
- Psychoanalysis aims at symptom understanding and ownership